Thursday, August 14, 2014

Learning More About Myself

When I received my copy of The Cure for the "Perfect" Life I knew it would be a good read but wasn't sure I would learn anything from it.  I'm an imperfect wife, mom, friend, daughter, sister, niece, granddaughter, person...not in search of a cure.  This book can't cure you of perfectionism but it sure can bring things to light for you.

Inside the pages of this book you will find several quizzes that will help you learn new and wonderful things about who you are.  You will find yourself relating to others that have shared stories from their lives as well.  It's always nice to know that we aren't alone.  God says He is always with us but when we realize that He has placed others on this earth that have gone, are going, or will be going through similar situations to ours it gives us a sense of hope.  Life is better when it's shared with friends.

If you'd like to take a quiz to get you started, you can follow this link and find out what type of rebel you are.  What Type of Rebel Are You?  Maybe you'd like to read the first chapter.  If so, you can find Chapter 1 here.

When I took the test it said I was an Amiable Rebel but I also relate well with the Analytic Rebel.  I tend to put others before myself and feel burnt out a lot.  I'm learning how to not say yes all of the time and carve more me time out of the day. 

Both Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory have written this book from their hearts making them vulnerable to us, their readers.  They quote on the back of their book..."The truth is you don't have to be perfect.  You just have to be brave enough to read this book."  I love that quote.  We aren't called to be perfect.  Don't let the P Bullies get you down.  What are the P Bullies?  They are perfectionism, performancism, procrastination, and people-pleasing.  

I have been known to procrastinate, perform, and please people with thinking I need to do things perfectly.  That's a tough way to live!

On Tuesday I was getting ready for the bible study I've been leading with girls in 6th through 12th grades this summer.  I was in charge of getting a craft together for them to do after we complete the study.  We made composition notebooks decorated with scrap-booking papers and ribbon.  They turned out beautifully.  How does this relate to any of the P Bullies? 1.  I didn't get a sample made as I had said I would.  2. On the way to bible study I finally made time to pick up the tape dispensers and glue sticks for the glue gun to use on the projects.  3. By not completing a sample I didn't take into account the amount of time it could potentially take which made me late for our church board meeting.  (Thankfully bible study and the meeting were both in the same building, the church.)  I'm grateful that my two friends that are helping me gave me grace.  The girls had a blast creating their own works of art.  Nobody really cared but in my eyes I had failed again.

After bible study and the church board meeting I felt like the P Bullies had gotten the best of me and then I came across this quote on perfectionism.  I thought this would be a good time and place to share it.



It's so true.  It is an illusion and you will find yourself feeling unfulfilled if you seek to always be "perfect".  Why not just live to be the person God created you to be?  He is perfect and one day we can all be perfect when we meet Him in heaven.



Until heaven we will remain a work in progress.  Don't try to be someone you're not.  Don't let others get inside your head and try to change you into who they want you to be.  Be your beautiful self.  Choose to be happy, have fun, and say no sometimes.

If you take a moment and stop by the facebook page for The Cure for the "Perfect" Life called Tiny Acts of Rebellion you will find some friends that you will be able to relate with.  You can also enter a giveaway for a beautiful necklace.  (See picture below.)



If you'd like to purchase a copy of this amazing book, you can find this book at:


Barnes and Noble

Christian Book Distributors

Family Christian Stores

You will probably want to pick up more than one copy so you can share your experience with a friend.  Having a Bravery Buddy is highly recommended.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

its humbling to know we will always be a work in progress this side of heaven when we try so hard to have it right all the time. thanks for sharing

Kristina said...

Yes it is Teresa. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message!